Thursday, May 22, 2008

coude flat frustrations

The central Coude flat supposedly can be controlled manually. Presumably this is necessary when using the telescopt in the 5-mirror coude configuration so that the central flat reflects light to the mirror in the Coude arch. Its angle has to change as the target changes in declination.

Unfortunately, I don't see any controls on either control desk which can actually change that angle. I started to implement one of my own (using a little artistic license :) ). I even got so far as to create an indicator dial with fiducial marks. I then realized that to do it with enough precision would require 3 (or 6) dials, just like the controls for the telescope itself. I then gave up on that idea. For now I expect to only implement the "automatic" mode and let the mirror change its own angle. (or not).

What else? Oh, yeah, I added some details to the description of the Easter Egg. That text is all encoded rot-13, so its easily decoded, but not readable at first glance.

I also started implementing the code for the RA Rate meter. It shows how fast the telescope is moving in RA in seconds of RA per hour. The guage has a selectable maximum value of 300 or 3000 sec/hour, so it obviously can't show the absolute speed, which would be about 3600 sec/hour. I'll assume it's supposed to show the difference from that.

No comments: